Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Campsites

I was thinking today about my comfort zone.  I wish I could think of another word to use that would make me sound more innovative as a thinker, but alas, I only slept for three hours last night.  In light of this, "comfort zone" will have to do.  

Today, as I sat at work, I realized that I felt at ease as I reached out to people I didn't know.  I even felt a little proud of myself for taking the "befriending" initiative.  But then my mind was suddenly arrested - "How easy," I thought, "to reach out in confidence and selflessness when I'm in a comfortable environment."  But how difficult for me, and how common of late, to shrink when uncomfortable.  I find myself in the throes of incredible self-frustration at this shrinking motion; who ever heard of mere (though perhaps intense) discomfort causing the actual reshaping of a person's personality?!  At these times, the way I am perceived is mildly shocking to me; "quiet", "reserved", and "shy" were never (EVER) words used to describe me until more recent months.  Trust me, my family would find these descriptions utterly laughable.  But what feels like "camping out" in a zone of discomfort has brought about this disappointing reshaping of who I am.  I'm not quite sure whether or not this extended stay in my discomfort zone has served as a means for growth; at this point, it is simply not clear to me.

However, I do believe I am beginning to know something else: restoration.  I think it's time for a new campsite.    

No comments:

Post a Comment