Monday, December 14, 2009

joy joy joy

Today, I'm thinking about joy.

Well, okay, I haven't thought much about it yet, but I'm going to start thinking about it. This is what I've got so far - up to this point in my life, I don't think it's ever been really difficult to sustain joy and happiness in my life. Not that life has always been easy, but I'd be lying if I said that life hasn't always been good. Even in the difficult times, there have always been relationships, people, things, ideas, and purposes to make it relatively impossible for me to lose joy and happiness.

But I find myself struggling with these things quite a bit these last few days. It definitely doesn't mean an absence of those aforementioned things - there are still relationships, people, things, ideas, and purposes that are very dear (and very exciting) to me. But I just feel...deflated, I suppose. Not necessarily defeated, just a little deflated. It's felt tougher in this last season of my life to feel happy, purposeful, and steady. I've spent countless minutes, hours, even days trying to put my finger on why I feel this way. That, I've almost decided, is something of a waste.

Today, I remember what my Dad always says:

"Don't let anything steal your joy."

This is tough to remember. But I want that to be true of me. I want it to be true regardless of any person, any circumstance, any sadness of heart. I think that's a tall order, but it's one that I want to contemplate. Beyond happiness, beyond bliss, beyond circumstantial satisfaction --

joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment